We Love

Monday, March 28, 2011

A little message from our friendly Finn



Lari Bourgoin
When my friend Rischenda asked me to write an article about my life in Helsinki I was thrilled at first. Then, when reading the blog description, and when trying to be acquainted with the concept of “rebirth through an experience” I admit that I got a little lost.
I tried to find an explanation to my misunderstanding. I thought perhaps cultural differences were an influence to my attitude: in how Anglo-Saxons may view life rather differently in comparison to the European ‘Romantic’ lifestyle I’m more familiar with. In saying ‘romantic’, I’m describing the ability of using your heart and your feelings to make decisions, and not necessarily your brain. During my long and joyful studies in Paris, A British teacher of North American culture and literature described that Anglo-Saxons tend to adopt the belief that life is what you make it, whereas Europeans are more passive in this respect, and generally believe more so in destiny. I almost concluded that I wasn’t an appropriate person to write an article for this blog.
Although after a long hard think I recognized I was wrong. Things happen to people; and they can impact you such in a deep way that you see life totally differently. My misunderstanding rooted in the timing of things: it’s the addition of experiences, of artistic emotions, readings, encounters, pains, that change you little by little. I do not believe that the single lecture of a book can transform you. But it’ll definitely make you think.
Rischenda mentioned my moving from Paris, where I grew up and studied, to Helsinki in Finland, the country where my mother grew up and studied. You could interpret this as an escape from my family circle, the social codes I know, and a start over. But the choice of my mother’s country can be seen as well as a return to the roots, to mom’s belly. Finland is a place that makes me feel safe as person. I allow myself more freedom in being who I am, doing what I want with a minimum of restrictions.
By learning the culture of my mother’s country, I’ve also learnt about myself, my education, and to what extent I am French or Finnish.
Helsinki is a very pleasant city to live in. Finland is the less corrupted country in the world, criminality is very low, and the social-democracy provides protection to everyone thanks to high taxes. There is a strict equality between men and women (he and she is the same word in Finnish, the language offers no possibility to distinguish sexes), all schools (university included) are free, as is health care. Finnish people think that the answer to problems is collective, and not the actions of individuals. The city itself is inhabited by very open minded people, and you rarely will be judged. People may appear cold at first, but rapidly they’ll open up and give you their true friendship. No faking here.
It’s a good feeling that I can put on whatever clothes I want to and no one will say anything about it, no one has to mix up in the mass. I like the fact that people are laid back at work, no Latin showing off. Your age or your sex is not an issue here, only your skills. I like that everything seems possible, no stress about the future.
Of course I miss the great French food culture here, the magnificence of Paris, the pleasure of shopping and my family of course. But that is not what I’m really looking for. I feel good in Helsinki for the moment, and that’s all what matters.
Sometimes moving on can only mean looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment