We Love

Friday, March 18, 2011

TTBA Presents: Another Young, Talented Upstart

Each month TTBA will feature an upcoming artist of any genre.  If you have a friend, lover, mother or neighbour who is doing great things in art, design, fashion, writing etc or if you think you're on the way to creative stardom give us a yell at bornblog@live.com 

To start us off is young jewellery designer Amber Brennan who I just so happened to have had the honour of studying with at University.

Enjoy ...
MC






Amber Brennan, do you work under the name Amber Brennan? If not, what is your business name? 
I work under the name for my resin designs: Hardest Button to Button


Tell me about your work? Do you consider yourself as:
a) An Artist
b) A Designer
c) None of the above


I consider myself a designer/artist. I studied Graphic Design and appreciate all things design. I like to think my resin work is designed,

What 'category' do you put your work in? 

Design/some might say craft too! 
I say design because they are my design ideas and exploration that has gotten me to this point! I also think and consider things that are design related elements and principles. Some ideas I have trialled recently are the use of tape measures embeded into the resin I really like these for the typography graphic element. I also want to develop this further with more type based ideas!


Typically, what would I find in your studio/work space? 

A mess!! Resin is quite messy and needs constant clean ups and order. There are plenty of buttons and material and other objects that I like to experiment with in my resin ideas. 
There is also a lot of safety, protective gear which is mandatory when working with resin. Other things I have around are inspirational pieces pinned up around. This could be anything from articles of interest to colour to patterns. 
I make my designs and jewellery in my lovely studio that's a garden shed, so very glamourous !!!

The process can be lengthy depending on the object, bangles take the longest. It can depend on what process and technique I use. On average bangles from start to finish take at least four hours to make, plus that there is a 24-48 hours drying time that the resin needs to cure properly, “...so that four hours would be the making and pouring and then the clean up. Then when the bangle is cured 24-48 hours later I complete the polishing and cleaning.


What Materials do you use, and where/how do you source them?

I use, resin, rubber silicone, acetone, beakers, scales, pigments, newspaper, clay and all for the making of my resin designs. Other things I use are second hand and vintage buttons, used stamps, material, coins, and many other found objects.
I source things from everywhere from people donating to me buttons, to op shops, antique shops, markets and anywhere else that I can go on a” hunting and gathering” mission ☺.


What got you interested in using resin as a jewellery ingredient?

I had liked resin jewellery for some time before she decided to learn the craft of making it.


"I wanted to know more so the curiosity got to me so much so that I looked into courses,” 


she said of her decision to sign up for a resin jewellery making workshop. 


I love Dinosaur Designs and the diversity and look of resin jewellery. I like the boldness of it.

We studied together at the University of Ballarat circa 2006, what have you done since graduating with a degree in Visual Arts? 

Ahh those for the days!
Since finishing uni, I have worked as a Marketing Assistant/Graphic Designer for a franchise company, then a small family print/design business and in 2010 I returned to University life to study a Graduate Diploma Of Education –Secondary. This was a 12 month course and I am now a qualified Visual Art/ Visual Communication and Design teacher. 


I love this and it’s rewarding being in the classroom and actually I have actually taught some resin art classes. This was one of my teaching placements at Loreto College in Ballarat, being an all girls school I was able to teach year 10 3D art students some resin casting, we made pendants for brooches and necklace pendants. 


The student’s loved it and so did the teachers, they put the works on display as a mini exhibition. The school has also implemented a resin element as part of the 3D art unit for Yr 10’s as part of the curriculum.

Do you think Higher Education is a ‘necessity’ for anyone wanting to start their own business in the creative industry?
If yes, why? 

I think it depends, for some people yes but for others no. 
Really a person’s own skill set, creativity motivation and willingness to be proactively be involved in creative industries and to network, helps to determine how well A person may do within their own business.

Where can we find your work? I know you mentioned the upcoming market in Geelong? 

My work can be found in the Ballarat Art Gallery Shop in Lydiard st Ballarat, Redbrick Gallery, Skipton St Ballarat, Can’t think straight in Vincent St Daylesford. 


I will also have a stall at the Piccadilly Market in Geelong on March 20th and then the Design Exchange Market in Ballarat April 7th. 


http://amber-hardestbuttontobutton-amber.blogspot.com/?spref=fb

2 comments:

  1. hi morgan!
    Thank you so much for following my blog!
    I really like the idea behind yours, how cute.
    Hope you are well!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Clare,

    Love your work!

    Thanks for checking ours out - much appreciated.

    Hope all's well!

    ReplyDelete