We Love

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Welcome to Café ME!

Working in hospitality has opened me up to the realisation that there are so many rude and greedy people in this world.


‘Yes sir I understand that your coffee is not hot enough (because it has been sitting on the table for half an hour whilst you’ve been reading the paper) just a moment, I will get you another one right away!’

So I ask myself, is this indulgent behaviour making these people any happier? Does this sense of power make their Saturday any better? Well no I don’t think it does, but who better to vent your suppressed anger and insecurities out on than a young, innocent attractive waitress who is hired to have no opinion of her own. So yes why not, continue with this power hungry behaviour, the waitress will always smile at you (whilst her youthfulness reminds you of what you’ve missed out on) no matter how demanding you want to be. You go on to stuff your face with that cake and drink your extra hot, weak, skinny, large mocha latte, that is inevitably going to make you fatter, filled with more guilt and emptiness, and never going to be good enough.

Does this customer attitude reflect an overabundance of freedom and access to an endless amount of choices? Is the concept of ‘things getting bigger and better’ making us in fact bitter?
I actually believe not everyone has to live this way and that there is an element of hope in each of us. I propose, doing something for someone other than yourself. Yes I am talking about the theory of giving, not taking and consuming. Don’t get me wrong, I love a latte but there is no doubt that you will get much more from helping others than what you get from your $3.50 caffeine hit for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment