We Love

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

YOU GIVE ME FEVER RAY

‘I know it, I think I know it from a hymn….They’ve said so, it doesn’t need more explanation’ Fever Ray, Seven






On a fine sunny afternoon on my common journey home from my draining café job I stumbled across the familiar harmonic voice of Fever Ray on my radio. With Nordic undertones and a sophisticated meshwork of electronic, acoustic and percussive flavours it was not a surprise that immediately I felt a sense of divinity, gracefulness and fragility towards her solo work. An intense sensation compelled me to further explore the nature and ideas behind her music. After sifting through each song, each of them grasping a different complex emotion of mine, I realised that I actually loved every single song on the album. This is a rare occurrence, if it has ever happened before.

Fever ray by artistic title, in reality known as Karin Driejer Andersson, took a rather successful rest from her half in the Swedish brother sister duo ‘The Knife’ and fashioned a significantly unique musical persona as ‘Fever Ray’.

I’ve confessed to others before, that at that moment my ears were blessed with her angelic compositions I had officially fallen in love with this woman. Every word she breathed I somehow understood and related to.

If you have yet to have had the honour, her lack of literality allows the listener to gain their own enchantment from the lyrical content. Fever Ray writes mostly in a state she likes to describe as ‘daydreaming’, drawn from her recent post natal chapter in which she feels ‘awake, but tired’.

You could say that she birthed a very beautiful and charming resonance and on my lifelong voyage in seek of an artist that sings the hidden or undiscovered poetry inside my mind, I finally found her. It is an obvious notion in her work that you tend to feel light and fluttery or sombre and heavy however the experience in itself is purely subjective – what you gain from her is chastely your own.

And what has Fever Ray done for me? – She’s made me feel free as a bird…..

Rischenda xx

No comments:

Post a Comment